Wednesday, September 9, 2026

September 11th and Schubert Piano Trio





 



September 11th and Schubert Piano Trio  

Dear diary,  

There is a piano trio that got associated with the events of September 11th.  At least for me. For this 25th anniversary of 9/11, this is a story of Schubert Piano trio in B flat Major. 

Music has a power to transport and connect us to different places, people and events. It links individual to a group; it can bring cohesion. It can bring optimism as well as sadness. It can be a symbol.

Montréal, September 2001: 2001 was the year when I started my Master’s degree at Conservatoire de Montréal. Life was beautiful and my only worry at that time was my sadness that Conservatoire had to move from that beautiful old building in Old Montréal.

That September, I had a required class called Chamber Music. It is a particular class where I was assigned to play duos, trios or quartets. I came to Conservatoire with a soloist background and my chamber music works consisted of works for two pianos or piano violin duos. I did not play many piano trios. And somehow, we were assigned a grand Schubert piano trio in B flat Major, one of the most celebrated masterworks in the chamber music repertoire that takes 40 minutes to perform. I had an honor to do this trio with Emilie, violinist and Yoav, cellist, two wonderful musicians that were doing their Master’s at the same time as me. We had an entire semester to prepare it and perform it in December, at Jeunesses Musicales du Canada concert hall here in Montréal.

Our first trio rehearsal was scheduled for Tuesday, September 11, 2001. That morning, I got up happy, and eager to go to Conservatoire and start the work with my trio partners.  Was proudly holding my Schubert trio scores in my hands and was just about to get out when on my surprise I found my entire family in the living room in front of the television. Thousands died, said from another room, buildings collapsed, there are first responders and firefighters dead as well, it was a terrorist attack. Unable to move I set beside them. Crying. Life stopped.

Bus 97 going West was packed. I was on my way to Conservatoire.  In bus, unease and silence. Hurt and confusion everywhere. Some were shaking heads in disbelief. We were all looking at each other. I was holding my cell phone in one hand and my Schubert trio scores in another. Like a compass. Almost squeezing them.

Arriving at Conservatoire, we did our first reading. An atmosphere difficult to explain. I believe that all three of us just moved our fingers and stared blankly through our scores. What a sad day it was.    

New York, April 2005: Few years later, I found myself in New York. I was preparing for the Chopin International Piano Competition. An April morning my mom and I visited the Ground Zero before my piano lesson. In 2005 Ground Zero was still far away from the memorial that we know today.  Fences were still around. All around buildings were still covered. Beneath, thousands and thousands ordinary people that went that morning to their work and never came back. The feeling that they had families, they had hopes. It was all gone, life has stopped. We stayed there for few minutes while ordinary people like us were rushing their ways to their work.

 

I was late for my piano lesson as my lesson was quite a few blocks away from the site. Once arrived, I started my worm up session with some scales and etudes. That day I supposed to present Chopin first piano concerto but during my worm up, I suddenly switched to the opening part of the Schubert piano trio. I did not bring my scores, but from my memory, I managed to play the opening and second theme of the first and second movements. Symbolically, in this opening, the images of New York’s Ground Zero in front of me joined the images of that Tuesday Montréal morning of September 11th. It was the same sunny morning when I was holding my trio scores as I was securing their existence in my hands on that bus 97 going West.

 

Montréal, April 2005: Few days later, I got back to Montréal. Found my Schubert piano trio scores, opened them and went through the entire trio, my part. Slowly. Remembering. Notes were going one by one. The first movement, a beautiful second theme, then the second movement, third movement Scherzo and fourth movement Rondo. Entire trio till its end. Reminiscence. Schubert piano trio resonating.   

 

An epilogue: In his theory of symbolic interactionism American sociologist Herbert Blumer explains that human beings act toward things, including physical objects, other people, institutions, and situations, based on the specific meanings those things hold for them.  

This trio could be remembered as another requirement for an obligatory class. But that was not the case. For me, this piano trio transcended and ‘broke’ the fences. It became connected to the day and place of human tragedy and to the people who are not with us anymore. Buildings were full of people that day, music was surely part of their lives. September 11th came between us and our everyday lives. September 11th came between me and this piano trio. From that day on whenever I perform it, whenever I open this trio’s scores, or hear it performed I am reminded of human tragedy of September 11,2001. 

 

Schubert Piano Trio n. 1 in b flat Major Op. 99 (D. 898) performed by Trio Dali
 








No comments:

Post a Comment